Back in the hobby

OD33

I started collecting militaria about 1990, but sold everything around 97 or 98. That was one big mistake. I recently got back in to the hobby about 6 months ago, mainly US Army and Air Force uniforms of the 1940's and 50's, but I do pick up some East German stuff.

• Upvote 4

• Field Marshall

I also gave up about 10 or so years ago, and been back for a couple of years now. It lies dormant to awaken when you least expect it.. ;)

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Bill in VA said:

I've also walked away a few times, but I've never liquidated the collection.

Yeah, I can really kick myself. I had M1 carbines and Garands, Kar98k's, various Nazi era pistols, etc., original WW2 US and German stuff, and some of the US stuff was 29th ID items which have doubled or tripled in value (thanks in part to Saving Ryan's privates). Back then I never thought I'd return to the hobby...

• Upvote 3

I am reluctantly leaving the hobby due to age, and medical issues with my wife.  It ain't easy to liquidate a collection.  Of course, I'll always have my East German collectibles----Nobody wants that stuff! :dynamite:

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
7 hours ago, ahrtal said:

I am reluctantly leaving the hobby due to age, and medical issues with my wife.  It ain't easy to liquidate a collection.  Of course, I'll always have my East German collectibles----Nobody wants that stuff! :dynamite:

It would surprise you, it's starting to get popular.. ;)

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
On 9 March 2016 at 14:33, Lenny said:

It would surprise you, it's starting to get popular.. ;)

Still certainly collectable in the uk,this is a set I sold recently.Quite a lot cheaper in price than 1989 when I got £75 for an East German helmet alone  I brought back from Berlin  :o Nowadays  £75 bought this lot complete :(.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

well...it ain't much, I've only started maybe 5 or 6 months ago, but here is some of my stuff. my favorite piece is the USAF transitional Ike jacket (OD33 with the then new AF stripes) from the late 1940's.

DSC00012.JPG

• Upvote 1