A Potential Tropical/Med M40--Need Help

ahrtal

Well, this was another eBay compulsive buy.  Figured for the price, I could sell it for parts and make money off it.  First, however, I decided to see what was under that green paint (Very similar in shade to the early M35 I posted, so maybe early BGS?).  Well, a lot of the original finish has flaked off, but I have found either DAK tan or Med finish under that awful repainted surface.  The paint is rather stubborn, and I have tried Zipstrip applied with a Que tip on it.  At least I have some hope for this project, but I am afraid the solvent may be too harsh to the finish, as under the flaking tan camo may be the original Heer or Luftwaffe finish.  I could surely use some recommendations.  Don't want to muck it up.

Back in the early to mid-1960s, I bought helmets from a guy called the Helmet King here in the States.  Often they were M35s, and M40s that were Spanish surplus, but complete, just sprayed over with that Spanish brown paint.  The only problem I experienced with the paint removal is that sometimes the brown pigment seemed to soak a bit into the original finish.  I was able to remove that paint, and in three instances, found helmets with insignia, and original paint.  Two did not have the attachment for the Spanish Eagle on the front, nor had the liners been worked over.  The other had two holes punched into the front and wire loops sticking out.  That one had an early liner, and a Blue Division shield, but I could not provide any provenance on it.  It could have been applied at anytime. 

P1010210.JPG

P1010208.JPG

P1010209.JPG

Well that looks like pretty thick paint, I dont know what zipstrip is but is it anything like acetone, thats what a lot of us use here in the UK to gently remove bad paint from helmets