British/Canadian Mk.IV helmet

lach470

Hey Gang. 

I have not posted in SO long....too long really. Perhaps someone can help me. I picked up this helmet at auction for $30. It's a Canadian/British MkIV helmet dated from 1953. Possibly a Korean war lid? This is not my area of expertise or knowledge so I appreciate any input. 

Can anyone here offer me some info on this lid. What do you think about the paint? There are some "runs" in some spots. Were they painted like this or kept "dark" (no paint)? 

I appreciate any info you can send my way. Liner and especially the chin strap are in great condition given the helmet is 70 years old.  

Cheers!

Rob

IMG-5135.jpg

IMG-5134.jpg

IMG-5133.jpg

IMG-5132.jpg

IMG-5131.jpg

IMG-5130.jpg

• Upvote 1

By the way.....this is what it looked like when I got it. Someone had painted this on the rear (probably thinking it was the front). 

Using acetone, cotton swabs and water, I was able to get this writing off. Happy with the end result. 

I think it's safe to assume that this was not related in any way to the military? :)

Rob

img.jpg

• Haha 1

I actually just picked up my 1st one, Its late WW11, but the overall paint on mine is very close to the interior paint of yours. I will try to dig some of my reference books out.

Hi, 

I have already learnt something. So the "turtle" helmet shape, of which this of that style isn't it? 

Was issued as early as WWII. I never knew that. Looking at the elastic version of the chinstrap compared to the later webbing type it does make sense. I have never owned one as the ones I usually come across are shells only and dated quite late. Now I know a little more about their history though they are more interesting. 

Great job on cleaning the paint off. Truly good work. 

thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Camelspank said:

Hi, 

I have already learnt something. So the "turtle" helmet shape, of which this of that style isn't it? 

Was issued as early as WWII. I never knew that. Looking at the elastic version of the chinstrap compared to the later webbing type it does make sense. I have never owned one as the ones I usually come across are shells only and dated quite late. Now I know a little more about their history though they are more interesting. 

Great job on cleaning the paint off. Truly good work. 

thank you for sharing. 

Yup.....the first "turtle" helmet was issued in '44 and I believe the only Canadian forces to be issued the Mk.III helmet were those involved in the Normandy landings. My example is the Mk.IV (used in Korea along with Mk.II's and also the US M1....so a real mishmash).  My MK.Iv has a differeny chinstrap and liner to shell assembly. The chinstrap rivets are also higher up on the shell. The last model (Mk.V) was the same shell but with a different looking liner. 

Cheers!

Rob

• Upvote 1

Hi Rob, 

Thank you for the additional information. It is an "every day is a school day" in this collecting game. 

Are you an expert in Brodies extending back to my are of interest, WW1? 

I have a few and have always wanted to confirm their era/type etc but it is not an area I know much about at all. I like the shells, but the complete helmets have something far more to offer in my book. I do have a lot of shells though as limited funds means I have to shop within budget. 

Hey! No.....Brodie helmets are very cool but my area of expertise is really German belt buckles and German helmets. I too enjoy collecting Canadian/British militaria but my focus is mostly German and Japanese. I am a teacher and had a student last year bring in a ww1 helmet asking about it and it was in fact a WW1 US issues M1917 with a very faint logo on the front of a red sort of castle. Did some research and it appears it would have been issued to combat engineers. You  just never know what is out there. 

Cheers!!

Rob

Wow, I love it when that happens. Someone tells you that they have something military related and then when they show you it is a jaw dropper of an item. 

So your interest is WWII German and Japanese items. I will bear that in mind. 

I have a few belt buckles from WW1 but stopped buying them as the fakes were becoming difficult to spot via the internet. I don't think that I have suffered any fakes so far, but I am no expert in them. 

I am always tempted by Japanese swords, but again, I have zero understanding of them and not willing to risk buying a fake. I like the symbolism in the Japanese military and their history. My wife would most likely run me through with a sword given the chance if I did buy one.