WW1 Hate belt

Afrikakorpsrat64

My 1st posting in awhile. Still managing to pick up a thing or two here and there.😃

I recently picked this up from a good friend who had it since childhood. It is my 1st "Hate" belt. Belt is kept in a small basket due to aging condition. Any help ID'ing some of the buttons would be appreciated. These are just  unique war bring back item to have.

20231003_114108.jpg

20231003_114135.jpg

20231003_114141.jpg

20231003_114147.jpg

20231003_114208.jpg

20231003_114250.jpg

20231003_114324.jpg

20231003_114331.jpg

20231003_114334.jpg

20231003_114344.jpg

20231003_114405.jpg

20231003_114409.jpg

20231003_114447.jpg

20231003_114531.jpg

20231003_114539.jpg

Hi. 

I am not sure of your personal point of view when it comes to renovation, but I have had a lot of success using this product to halt the drying and cracking. It was recommended to me by someone who renovates old leather Chesterfield sofas. I am personally not interested in full restoration, but I do like to halt any damage from continuing. I would highly recommend it as I have used on a lot of my leather items and it does nothing more than feed and protect the leather from continuing to degrade. TRG Unisex-Adult Leather Renovator Shoe Treatments & Polishes Neutral 300.00 ml. There are various colours, but I find the neutral one perfect for keeping the item as natural as I can. 

Regards

Ben

• Upvote 1

I am no expert but the buttons look like various German, Austrian and possibly Russian tunic buttons. Probably a far greater guru is going to put me straight. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Camelspank said:

Hi. 

I am not sure of your personal point of view when it comes to renovation, but I have had a lot of success using this product to halt the drying and cracking. It was recommended to me by someone who renovates old leather Chesterfield sofas. I am personally not interested in full restoration, but I do like to halt any damage from continuing. I would highly recommend it as I have used on a lot of my leather items and it does nothing more than feed and protect the leather from continuing to degrade. TRG Unisex-Adult Leather Renovator Shoe Treatments & Polishes Neutral 300.00 ml. There are various colours, but I find the neutral one perfect for keeping the item as natural as I can. 

Regards

Ben

Thanks, I have had thoughts of trying something on it, every time I touch it a piece falls off, lol. I will look into that!

if you are careful and I mean you have to be really careful. There are some really good glues that you can apply these days that are used in museums for repairing and stopping stuff falling apart. The other option is find a local cobbler who usually do a lot of renovating or know master leather-workers. It is such a great item to own. 

I have a very worse for wear Rum bottle holder that has the owners name and regiment on the front, as well as brass plate with "RUM" stamped into it. It is completely unrepairable due to it having been sat on its side in water for a long time and then dried out causing the leather to dry to a crisp on the lid and one side of the flask. So I have applied the TRG to it and left it alone other than that. It is a very interesting item that is so obviously personal. 

I have struggled to find the owner so far though. 

Just an example of when something cannot be reversed so you just want to stop the rot as it were. 

Rum Bottle Holder.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool bottle - and a wicked nice souvenir/hate belt. If only it could talk. 

I can't offer much advice on restoration...but everything looks as it should. So much character. I have a WW2 souvenir belt. German belt/buckle with various KM trade badges and other goodies like EKII ribbon and shoulder boards too. 

It's a very unique piece - they all are. Thanks for sharing!

Rob

• Upvote 1

Yes Thanks, I agree and am of like mind, especially after 50 + years of collecting. I do believe in preservation when necessary. It's saving history really. I use Renaissance wax on helmets, swords and bayonets, badges etc as it does not harm the "patina". Leather can be tricky. I will look into the preservative you mentioned as I usually use mink oil, but these can change the color. 

8 hours ago, Camelspank said:

if you are careful and I mean you have to be really careful. There are some really good glues that you can apply these days that are used in museums for repairing and stopping stuff falling apart. The other option is find a local cobbler who usually do a lot of renovating or know master leather-workers. It is such a great item to own. 

I have a very worse for wear Rum bottle holder that has the owners name and regiment on the front, as well as brass plate with "RUM" stamped into it. It is completely unrepairable due to it having been sat on its side in water for a long time and then dried out causing the leather to dry to a crisp on the lid and one side of the flask. So I have applied the TRG to it and left it alone other than that. It is a very interesting item that is so obviously personal. 

I have struggled to find the owner so far though. 

Just an example of when something cannot be reversed so you just want to stop the rot as it were. 

Rum Bottle Holder.jpeg

Amazing piece!

Hi. 

I have tried so many different products on my leather items and some of the oils that I was recommended by saddlers were awful. Tried different soaps, oils and waxes, but this TRG is definitely the best thing I have come across so far. I did take a look at one of the sofas that the guy who recommended it to me had in his workshop and I was immediately impressed with the way that it saved the age of the leather. 

I was going to use it on a 1917 leather jerkin so I was nervous as hell, even when I tried on a piece on the inside, but it came up really beautifully. Obviously really damaged leather due to getting wet then dried out too fast is pretty much a lost cause. But I have used this stuff on pieces like that and it still makes a huge difference. 

I don't work for them before anyone suspects my over enthusiasm is due to a back hander. 

Back on topic, your belt is a really lovely item. 

They seem to becoming rarer and rarer these days. I have not seen a decent one that looks original come up for a long time. Certainly not one that I would be able to afford. 

It is rarer still to see one with tunic buttons too as they are usually regimental badges on the Allies ones. 

Great addition to the collection.