B17 Andy's Dandy's and B17 Laura Jane

Richard Auld

Guys, was a bit bored and found an excellent American site about crashed B17s. https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/map-b17-crash-sites/

These two are well within my patrol area.

Prelim search gives a lot of info about Andy's Dandy's , via other sites through search. See pictures below (credit to 100 bomber group site fair usage).

She crashed in the South of the training area, this was one that old Albert told me about but now with a location, I can have a quick squint and see if there is any trace left. Not though until the water recedes in the moor as many are still swimming here in Niedersachsen, we have some new streams now in the moor and the 3rd Parallel is cut off from the West.

Laura Jane actually crash landed in what is now the Bundeswehr Lager Ostenholz. I doubt there is anything left to see or find due to the camp being built on the crash site. You never know though?

The crash site for Dandy's is in the arsehole of the world, it reminds me of a film I seen about a crashed American plane in the desert and they were all ghosts, they disappeared one by one as their remains were found, all but one. Wish I could remember the name of the film.

Best

Rich

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpeg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

another picture (credit Alarmy).

Could be in UK?

commemorative-sign-for-andys-dandys-a-ww-ii-b-17-crew-BYBWY3.jpg

I neglected to mention all on board were KIA sadly.