US GI Luftwaffe Trench Art Helmet

Patrick Lawrence

This is one of my favorite helmets in my collection. It is a US GI bring back that has all of the countries he fought in on it. This gentleman was there from the first American campaign against Hitler all the way to Germany. The eagle looks to be touched up or repainted when the name of the countries were painted on. Either it is one of those "one of a kind" helmets. I have seen all different kinds of GI bring backs similar to this and have always wanted one. Hopefully this won't be my last one! Enjoy! 

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.16.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.16.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.16.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.16.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.17.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.18.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.18.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.18.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.18.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 8.18.33 PM.png

I think its been repainted posr war, probably by the Vet, but what spoils it is the brand new fake liner, I would take that out, but are the liner pins the original ones??, or were they replaced as well

• Upvote 1

Yeah I knew it was repainted post war. You're actually the first person to tell me its a brand new fake liner. The liner doesn't take away from it too much for me. I got it mainly for the shell. The liner pins I am not sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Lawrence said:

Yeah I knew it was repainted post war. You're actually the first person to tell me its a brand new fake liner. The liner doesn't take away from it too much for me. I got it mainly for the shell. The liner pins I am not sure.

The only problem with leaving a really horrible liner in is that you will get comments about it, which detracts from the main reason for posting, its worth looking at as a shell only,removing it stops people from thinking if theres one problem ,are there any others, also looking at the pins you can see if they have washers and are dated and genuine, provided you are careful they can be refitted and if the liner bands are real ,thats even better, but I have a feeling the bands came with that liner, which could mean the pins are not genuine or came with the helmet, but only a looksee will tell, the more genuine parts to a helmet ,the better, also try and ID the maker, its not very clear here.

3 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

It's refreshing to see a salty original one for a change,really nice shell. :)

Thank you! I love it :D If you want to see a real salty one go look at my snow camo post lol 

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

very nice

Thank you Daniel! 

• Field Marshall

As mentioned, I'd ditch the liner, it's really a horrible repro. :)

• Upvote 1

If I ever decide to sell it I will but right now for me I am okay with it

Bought it for the helmet and the trench art not the liner :) I'd rather have a fake liner and original helmet then an entire fake helmet. 

• Upvote 2

• Major General

As said already, that horrendous liner really spoils a nice helmet and it would be a lot nicer as a Collectable without it.its your lid, and your call entirely, but I'd be inclined to let the shell speak for itself...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

As said already, that horrendous liner really spoils a nice helmet and it would be a lot nicer as a Collectable without it.its your lid, and your call entirely, but I'd be inclined to let the shell speak for itself...

Thank you for your kind words Bil. Yeah I know it needs a new liner. A liner is not something I've always had on my list for my collection so when I do see originals for sale I keep scrolling lol Once I get out for the semester here in a few weeks I will look into getting a new one and will post the results :)

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately liners are no longer cheap, and to find one that matches the condition of your helmet will be difficult, also if those pins are not the original ones, that will incur additional expense, and trying to match the pins to the helmet, will prove hard, Keep the helmet as original without a liner, The helmet has a great patina and speaks for itself, but I do understand why a liner will add that bit of extra look factor but in this case I dont think its necessary 

2 hours ago, Davejb said:

Unfortunately liners are no longer cheap, and to find one that matches the condition of your helmet will be difficult, also if those pins are not the original ones, that will incur additional expense, and trying to match the pins to the helmet, will prove hard, Keep the helmet as original without a liner, The helmet has a great patina and speaks for itself, but I do understand why a liner will add that bit of extra look factor but in this case I dont think its necessary 

Thank you Dave! I think I will do that for now. 

4 hours ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

@Patrick Lawrence Off topic but...GO IRISH! ND fan myself!

Go IRISH! So ready for this game! 

• Upvote 1