Interesting medal set

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I see what you mean about the price (that's not steep thats f***ing  vertical).:D

1 hour ago, Mav352 said:

I see what you mean about the price (that's not steep thats f***ing  vertical).:D

is it though? Really? that over the top price wise? I am not trying to start an argument, personally I think it is a little high, but the value, or drive behind the grouping is that of the man. he was for sometime, the sole British Guard for Hess. If this fact is verifiable (and certainly would be easy) I could see it being attractive. I have seen some rather unsettling prices for the mundane lately. And YES they are actually selling. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Any item is always going to be worth whatever the buyer is prepared to pay. Some people are prepared to pay over the odds for items that finish off a part of a collection or have some sort of personal connection with there family history imho

Am I missing something here, Those medals all refer to Army medals,, in the description it says he was a Bmdr in the RA, Royal Artillery, not RAF,until much later, surely there should be an Air service medal, plus medals were not inscribed with the service mans name after WW1, theres something pokey about all this or am I losing the plot, also one minute this guy is  Hess,s prison governer then an ordinary guard which is it and all those details of service and stations of 622  are listed on Wiki ,almost verbatum as in the description, and in just under 4 months he flew 20 missions so basically one and a bit a  week, that does,nt sound right, plus by that time literally every city and manufacturing plant had been destroyed.Or am I just being a cockwomble and should go and have a lie down with some tramadol

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Davejb said:

Am I missing something here, Those medals all refer to Army medals,, in the description it says he was a Bmdr in the RA, Royal Artillery, not RAF,until much later, surely there should be an Air service medal, plus medals were not inscribed with the service mans name after WW1, theres something pokey about all this or am I losing the plot, also one minute this guy is  Hess,s prison governer then an ordinary guard which is it and all those details of service and stations of 622  are listed on Wiki ,almost verbatum as in the description, and in just under 4 months he flew 20 missions so basically one and a bit a  week, that does,nt sound right, plus by that time literally every city and manufacturing plant had been destroyed.Or am I just being a cockwomble and should go and have a lie down with some tramadol

I thought that too, if he's an airman, he should have had an Aircrew Europe medal at least....never heard of an airman being a guard for anything...I'm thinking it's a wee bit suss too...:) It took my uncle 3 years to do 59 missions, or almost 2 tours,...then he was to be sent off to "rest"...they also had "rest" periods lasting days and sometimes weeks during a tour... and as you say, 20 missions in under 4 months...deff sus....

Looks like a set of medals have been gathered by the seller, thinking what the airman/guard would have had, throw in a couple of newspaper cuttings, and yer away...:)

BTW, while we are on the subject, this is the display i made up on my Uncle and his Observer...this can be all yours for ...hmmmmmmmmmmm......£1500.....LOL....:)

Jackies medals.jpg

Edited by Norrie

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Reading all this thank Christ they didn't accept my offer.... Phew.....medals not my strongpoint  :$.

:pufff:

They,re not mine either, but its my coppers nose that started to twitch, and thought a bit deeper, and could,nt work out why there was no Aircrew medal, and different descriptions of his job title, plus the amount of missions.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Davejb said:

They,re not mine either, but its my coppers nose that started to twitch, and thought a bit deeper, and could,nt work out why there was no Aircrew medal, and different descriptions of his job title, plus the amount of missions.

I'll bet there's no Aircrew Europe medal, cos an original is worth a up to around £300......all those medals are easily got on the bay....I paid no more than £60 for the medals in my display....the DFM and the Aircrew are copies...:)

These have been sold before and I think it was also on flea Bay