The Mexican Punitive Expedition

Utah Bob

On March 9, 1916 troops under the command of Panch Villa attacked the border town of Columbus, New Mexico. 10 civilians and 8 US soldiers were killed. 67 of Villa's men were killed and the US cavalry troopers pursued across the border several miles into Mexico.The next day, President Wilson issued this statement.

"An adequate force will be sent at once in pursuit of Villa with the single object of capturing him and putting a stop to his forays. This can and will be done in entirely friendly aid to the constituted authorities in Mexico and with scrupulous respect for the sovereignty of that Republic"

I have collected a few items from the campaign against Villa over the years and would like to share them with you. The year-long expedition did not capture Villa but it helped the US military to prepare for the coming involvement in Europe. The commander of the expedition was John Pershing who later commanded the troops in France.

PunExp.jpg

• Upvote 4

• Major General

Thanks for posting these artefacts, something we don't see very often, and a departure from the normal WW1/2 militaria.

assume these are pretty scarce items and consequently quite valuable.

What kind of sword is that?  It looks a lot like the M1913 "Patton Sabre," but it looks too short.  

19 hours ago, PaulR said:

What kind of sword is that?  It looks a lot like the M1913 "Patton Sabre," but it looks too short.  

It is a reproduction Patton saber, Regualtion length. It just looks a little short due to camera angle. The cavalry carried their sabers into Mexico but sent them back on trucks shortly afterward. Patton, of course, carried his Single Action Army revolver.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2016 at 16:44, Bil4338 said:

Thanks for posting these artefacts, something we don't see very often, and a departure from the normal WW1/2 militaria.

assume these are pretty scarce items and consequently quite valuable.

The campaign medal on the far right was Army issue. The other medals were issued by various states to their national guard troops who helped secure the border whilst the regular Army troops moved into Mexico.

• Upvote 2

Hi!  Thanks for the reply.  Who made the reproduction?  How much do those go for?  My wife has two originals (she collects those specifically, a 1913 and a 1918).

10 hours ago, PaulR said:

Hi!  Thanks for the reply.  Who made the reproduction?  How much do those go for?  My wife has two originals (she collects those specifically, a 1913 and a 1918).

It was made by Windlass Steelcrafts. Atlanta Cutlery retails them. http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1158-patton-sword.aspx

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Utah Bob,

Thank you for sharing :)

Do you know what medal the Mexicans issued to foreign nurse volunteers? 

D

The Mexican side is not my area of expertise but I'll see what I can find out for you.

• Upvote 1

awesome items @Utah Bob, my village in france has conections with the states, during ww1 it was the home of the American school of artillery, the future presedent harry Truman was based here as a young officer