Royal Artillery Forage Cap.

Norrie

Hi guys, just bought this for not a lot of money, more on an "impulse" than anything else. I'm making up a display on my Grandfather who was RA during WW2, not as an officer tho...:)

So, I'm now wondering what era this is from, I dont think it,s WW2 , any help would be greatly appreciated.

RA Hat2.JPG

RA Hat3.JPG

RA Hat4.JPG

RA hat5.JPG

RA Hat.JPG

• Upvote 1

I,ve heard it somewhere that WW2 versions of cap badges for RA , the wheel actually turns, but I think this cap is more modern, What are the crown buttons made from, brass or staybrite?

• Major General

Some versions of the cap badge had a moveable wheel, probably more of a novelty than anything else, a sort of officer oneupmanship.

the badge pictured has had the wreath and crown removed for some reason.

You know, I was looking at that damn thing for ages and could,nt for the life of me work out what was missing!!!!, total brain freeze!!!, I need a few pints down my throat, gets the wheels working

• Upvote 1

LOL..."Brain Freeze"..:)..

I don't have it in my possession yet, should be here mid week, It's meant to come from a chap who's grandfather served with the RA from mid war to early 50's....

I have an original WW2, ( moveable wheel) cap badge i can add to it then...:) 

The thing that "bothers" me is, the only other supposedly officers forage cap had braid round the edges, along with a bullion badge.

You need to check the whole interior for a makers name, especially as its an "Officers" cap, Mine is marked in gold lettering, Hobson and Sons, (London), Ltd   6 .7/8, the brass buttons are marked Firmin London, Its a Prince of Wales Rgt that has the all metal badge imbedded into a large cord knotted button, and has the gold wire piping across the two top halves, silken interior and "velvet" sweat band 

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2016 at 15:22, Davejb said:

You need to check the whole interior for a makers name, especially as its an "Officers" cap, Mine is marked in gold lettering, Hobson and Sons, (London), Ltd   6 .7/8, the brass buttons are marked Firmin London, Its a Prince of Wales Rgt that has the all metal badge imbedded into a large cord knotted button, and has the gold wire piping across the two top halves, silken interior and "velvet" sweat band 

Will do Dave, Thanks for all the help, I'll report back as soon as it arrives...:)

Just had a thought, could that badge be an arm badge ?, I seem to remember seeing them like that before..

Edited by Norrie
more info.

Not sure but I think it would still have the Royal crown and wreath on it either way

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Yep, I think NORRIE's correct.it is an arm badge, thought it looked familiar but didn't think about it any more than that, always other stuff on here to peruse too...^_^

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Yep, I think NORRIE's correct.it is an arm badge, thought it looked familiar but didn't think about it any more than that, always other stuff on here to peruse too...^_^

Just had a look on THAT site...:) Seems it is an NCO's arm badge...Selling for more than I paid for the cap too....:)

arm badge 2.JPG

There must be two , one each arm, your cap must have the left and the one in the photo goes on the right, did,nt know there were two metal arm insignias in the Royal Artillery

On 3/28/2016 at 23:52, Bil4338 said:

Hiya. Cap arrived yesterday, and their are no dates at all inside it, from what i can find out on t'internet, it seems to be an NCO's cap ...the badge is def original, and seemingly, the same as worn on the sleeves of NCO's battledress or tunic...:) So, all in all, I'm happy with it. 

• Upvote 2