USN Sword

Tlittle

I recently purchased a USN sword without knowing much about it. What I thought was a makers mark is some sort of proof mark. It's a six sided star with a little brass circular inset that says "PROVED". The word Germany is stamped into the edge of the ricasso. The only other letters I can find are USN  and I'm guessing the original owners name. I've been trying to research and find info on who made it. I find lots of swords and pictures but the only thing I find different is the little brass circle. Anyone have any suggestions? Also the scabbard is in good shape but the leather is apparently drying and shrinking and pulling against the stitching in a couple places. What is best to treat the leather with. I have read peccards is good but then some seem to not like it?

I,ll leave the sword guys to ID yours, but to stop the leather drying out, you need to rehydrate it, I,ve found the best thing to use is Lord Sheratons Leather balsam, goggle it to find your nearest stockists, it cleans protects and softens old leather,