SAS Beret

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I recently purchased this beret directly from a family member whose father served in the SAS in North West Europe during 1944/45. I just love the condition and feel that this gives off,if only it could speak........

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Oi Oi H&J... Bloody love it mate, what a rare piece, if you ever want to sell it let me know! Any idea where the guy served?

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It has dibs on it at the moment but he served in Northwest Europe 44/45,his family said he very rarely spoke about his service but said he and a handful of guys 'liberated' a concentration camp way before allied forces reached it and never forgot that,alas we shall never know mate.His family weren't bothered which is unfortunately most times the case. :(

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Oh that is a nice piece, unusual as well I think, I was always under the impression that they would wear their wings but still retain their Regt berets, I wonder if he transferred from Para to SAS

Guest Fred Karno's Army

@Davejb unfortunately the conversation with his family was .........

'Whats it worth ?'

I said then going through his medals where he would have served,things they would have been doing etc,educate,it's your bloody father for gods sake........wasting breath TBH.

"Yes he once mentioned la la Lah......what's it worth ?"

9_99_99_9

Wow really cool! I've worked with a few SAS when I was US Special Forces pretty tuff guys!

• Upvote 1

@Ham & Jam I would've told them a pittance for their ignorance and laughed all the way home :(

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Not for me that mate,I am a great believer in karma , but that's just me ;).

Is,nt that just typical now, these people have no sense of family loyalty, nor interest in the history of their own families, that is one of my pet hates. I cant stand to see medal groups belonging to family being sold either. Its all about money with them and more often than not these people will accept a pittance from less honest "collectors"

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Davejb said:

Is,nt that just typical now, these people have no sense of family loyalty, nor interest in the history of their own families, that is one of my pet hates. I cant stand to see medal groups belonging to family being sold either. Its all about money with them and more often than not these people will accept a pittance from less honest "collectors"

I'm the same way I've boght things from vulture (family members) that just want cash don't care about honor or family pride

• Upvote 2

@Davejb did i say something wrong mate as I just felt that was directed at me, I was just saying ignorant people like this vets family don't deserve jobby!

Guest Fred Karno's Army

@Davejb if I am honest mate I could have offered them £5 and they would have accepted it,my god they have no understanding of what their father witnessed or went through,after 20 minutes chatting I gave up........money...money.....money.

Saddens me,TBH I am old school but can only be honoured to own such an item because I respect the history behind it .

And I do believe I had been allotted to be a temporary guardian.

Guest Fred Karno's Army
5 minutes ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

@Davejb did i say something wrong mate as I just felt that was directed at me, I was just saying ignorant people like this vets family don't deserve jobby!

@HetzersGonnaHetz No mate you wead that Wong,read that wrong  ;).

Hetz,you have,nt said anything wrong mate, in fact I did,nt even see your reply until now. I,m talking about dishonest collectors who do this all the time. I have a bloke near me who does exactly that. buys from house clearances from old ladies or families who are a bit hard up, and then wants full or even above prices for them.

• Upvote 1

I,ll give you a perfect example of this guy, He called round my house one night, and showed me two items, a very nice KM dagger with portapee and a British pith helmet with badge from the Zulu wars. The helmet had a large dent in the top where someone had put something heavy on it. I gave him advice as to how to gently steam the dent out, and the dagger was a very nice etched blade example, I asked him where he got them, his car boot sale where an old lady had sold them to him. He told me he bought both for £50. then he asked me if I wanted to buy the dagger, I said how much, £650, I asked how much for the helmet £500. Now I dont mind paying a fair price for anything, but this guy really got my goat. I told him exactly what I thought of him and never to come round again, yet this guy still stiffs old people at his car boot sales. The only good thing that came out of it was the fact he steamed the helmet too much and completely ruined it. He then tried to blame me when I saw him in the town and said I owed him the full price, I said the only thing I owed him was a smack in the mouth if he did,nt get out of my face. He crosses the road if he sees me walking towards him now. I hate people like this with a vengeance

• Upvote 3

• Major General

That guy sounds like a right c#^*!

he'd be walking the other side of the road with me too mate...

• Upvote 2

• Major General

I know a dealer in Glasgow who did a similar thing....old lady walks into his shop, pulls out what she thought was a letter opener.'my old man brought it back from the war' sort of scenario.tosser gives her 20 quid...TWENTY QUID!! which she gratefully takes.(he was SO proud of himself when telling me this). ¬¬

he later sold the letter opener to my mate for...£1000>:(....it was a Hitler Youth leader's dagger....which he well knew was a scarce and expensive item.

That really is a scum bag, What annoyed me so much about my scum bag was that he used to come round and ask me for opinions on values for all the badges he had, which I thought he was a newbie collector, but then I found out he was selling them as fast as I was giving a valuation. I actually asked him for money for my time and valuation once. He thought I was joking, so I stopped helping him, but he kept turning up like a bad penny

• Upvote 2

These stories have boiled my blood! But all in all Paul, that is a really beautiful, rare beret and I've never seen one before, and I don think I'll see one again! Awesome fella

• Major General
12 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

These stories have boiled my blood! But all in all Paul, that is a really beautiful, rare beret and I've never seen one before, and I don think I'll see one again! Awesome fella

As rare as hen's teeth mate...

• Upvote 1

• Major General

...Scarcer than a principled politician...

Oops, little bit o' politics there...!!! :o¬¬

• Upvote 1

Haha, I'm sure a little bit won't bother anyone... Unless they're liberals! Eek

• Upvote 2

My uncle Robin ( Paras)  brought lots of stuff back from his short time in Germany, and three years in Palestine 45-48....I got the German helmet ( No liner LOL ) which I then swapped for an Action Man. well, I was about 10 at the time...the German Pith hat, sword stick and other stuff was sold to a door knocker dealer  guy who cleaned my gran's house out ( incl lots of art Deco stuff) for the princely sum of £300 ...I really hope Karma gets that twat!!!!

BTW, the Webley Service Revolver went to the cops...I was there when she handed it over to the local sergeant...:)