SAS Beret

Guest Fred Karno's Army

On 14/5/2016 at 02:19, Davejb said:

That really is a scum bag, What annoyed me so much about my scum bag was that he used to come round and ask me for opinions on values for all the badges he had, which I thought he was a newbie collector, but then I found out he was selling them as fast as I was giving a valuation. I actually asked him for money for my time and valuation once. He thought I was joking, so I stopped helping him, but he kept turning up like a bad penny

Sounds like  the portrait of a well-known US "reputable seller"!

Nice beret!!!!
Original wartime para berets are already hard to get, but a SAS beret.......never had an original one in my hands!

And to comment on how items are aquired: to me it all depends on were the item will end up!
If it is a "dealer" then he is a real ass when trying to get items on pretend and make as much money as possible in as sort time as possible.

If it is a serious collector the people who own it will notice.
But......it depends on how much they value keeping the history a live or just want quick money!

I was always willing to pay for items that I could directly acquire from people were it was left behind.
But several times people donated it to me, because they felt it came at the right place.
Most items have now passed on to other collectors or given back to the previous owners when I decided to stop.
Some didn't want them back and told me that I could do with it as suited me.

And yes, also I did pay sometimes way less then the actual value!
Most time to people who did not care about family honour or family history.
Why would I then pay a top price with my hard earned money if people didn't bother the history or honour.......just cold cash!

I was happy then that I could save the item....for little money!

But it are these practices from collectors and so called friend that made me stop active collecting!

16 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

@Norrie, I bet you were greetin' seeing that happen...

I was really young, and wasnt phased at all by it being in the house, I was sort of used to it..., ..but she wouldnt let me play cowboys with it... BUT, was sick as a proverbial when I went to my grans one day to find all the stuff gone....I used to play with it all....mind you, I s'pose she must have needed the money...:(