What once was....

Henri

Like mentioned in the topic were I introduced my self.....again, I mentioned that I stopped active collecting about 5-6 years ago.

I can say I had a nice small collection of goodies, mannequins and other spacefillers.

Now a days I still have the pictures! xDxDxD 

Several of the mannequins I still have, but also be sold for those who are willing to pay.
Most smaller stuff is packed in crates and boxes.

I will open a seperate topic on what I kept and still interested in.
Don't know when, but will do so, because may be you guys can help me out with that.

Well......my past collection......have a look and enjoy what I collected in about 21-22 years.

modelbouw naslag (2).JPG

modelbouw naslag (3).JPG

modelbouw naslag (4).JPG

modelbouw naslag (5).JPG

modelbouw naslag (6).JPG

modelbouw naslag (7).JPG

modelbouw naslag (8).JPG

• Upvote 2

Absolutely in awe! What a fantastic collection

• Upvote 2

Some of the display cases and drawers....and other places I stacked everything! xD

german A frame.JPG

IMG_1891 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1892 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1893 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1894 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1899 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1908 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1909 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1910 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1911 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1912 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1920 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1923 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1925 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1928 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1930 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1931 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1932 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1933 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1934 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1935 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1936 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1938 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1939 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1940 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1941 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1942 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1943 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1944 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1945 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1946 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1947 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1948 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1949 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1950 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1951 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1952 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1953 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1954 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1955 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1956 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1958 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1960 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1963 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1964 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1965 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1966 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1968 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1970 [800x600].JPG

IMG_1971 [800x600].JPG

• Upvote 2

Is that an M3 in an M6 scabbard, bloody hell the scabbards are rarer than the knives!

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

....and some more pictures I thought you guys would like!

gb diverse para (1).JPG

gb diverse para (4).JPG

gb diverse para (5).JPG

daggers.jpg

diverse 2.jpg

diverse 6.jpg

diverse 7.jpg

diverse WWII (1).jpg

diverse WWII (2).jpg

diverse WWII (3).jpg

diverse WWII (7).jpg

diverse WWII (10).jpg

kompasjes.jpg

• Upvote 2

@HetzersGonnaHetz

Yep....it is a M6 scabbard!
Had 3 of them.
One named to a vet that I sold about 6 months ago.
The one you mention in the pictures came with the knife, a blade marked PAL.
3th one you can see in the drawer with the sticky things.

@to all 

For all the things that can say "boem" or normally could spit bullets: I don't have it anymore!

Not allowed by law in the Netherlands for most items, so got rid of it almost instant after the descision that I would stop collecting.

OK, some specific items!

Some sold already, some still in my possion and some I will keep.

101 patch.jpg

armoured liner [800x600].jpg

barter kit [800x600].jpg

BC721.jpg

britse parahelm en baret [800x600].JPG

Gallowe jack [800x600].jpg

Gammon part.jpg

Life raft ration.jpg

M3 29ste [800x600].jpg

M3 en M6 [800x600].jpg

M3 imperial.jpg

morfine ampul [800x600].JPG

patch 506.jpg

wing 502.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Fantastically diverse collection of artefacts! Very nice and I bet you wish you still had it all!!:Grrrrr::/

• Upvote 1

Nope....never regreded the decision!

Still have a big part, but from the part I sold we could pay expensive bills for house costs, buy an other car and live life.

Also a part of the money went into my scale model collection.
I now have a stash I need to become 400 years if I want to build it all! xDxDxD 

The items I was doubting about, I kept!
My opinion was that I could always sell when I wanted it.
But I am not active searching to add items anymore and a specially because I narrowed my field of interest dramaticly it is also harder to add items.

• Upvote 1

You certainly have/had a very diverse collection. I covers just about everything. Very imprssive in deed. I do love to see I am not the only one who put a filing cabinet to good use for storing. 

• Upvote 1

Thats not a collection, its a bloody museum, you have some very rare pieces there, and where on Earth did you get a "Rupert" from with original chute, .The Airborne Museums at Duxford and Pegasus Bridge only have one each, and yours looks in better condition than both???????????

• Upvote 1

@Davejb this is Holland, so anything that was in Holland 70 years ago is probably in a fellas garage somewhere, you could probably buy rocking horse sh#t there. :D 

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Davejb said:

Thats not a collection, its a bloody museum, you have some very rare pieces there, and where on Earth did you get a "Rupert" from with original chute, .The Airborne Museums at Duxford and Pegasus Bridge only have one each, and yours looks in better condition than both???????????

As a matter of fact: the "Rupert" came out of the UK!!!!
Funny storie how I got it.

Mate of me is a trader and now and then made a trip to the UK to attend shows there.
(we are talking about 15 years ago or so).
In that time I was compleeting a British Armour Vehicle mannequin and needed a headset and mic.
Asked him if he had one and he said "Think so....some were!"
But one thing my mate is not orginized!!!
At least not in my eyes: he calls it a logic chaos.

We went into his small shop he had behind his house but could not find the damn thing.
"Oh wait.....", he said "it might be in my garage that is about a mile from here......come on...we going to have a look!"
Again: complete chaos, but the luck was that the garaga was half empty, so there was still some space to walk.

Because of the chaos he needed to search him self on the square feet he suspected were he dropped it.

In the meanwhile, like every collector, I was scanning the place, because I never was there.
In a corner on a pile of boxes and bags, there was a black trashbag.
I looked inside and ........yep.......the rupert and chute.
Did not know what it was when I saw it in the bag so asked my friend.
"Oh that.....that is a dummy......got it last week in the UK on a show!"
Asked him if it was for sale?
"Sure.....that is why I am a trader!"
Me: "how much?" > he: "don't know....pfff.....what do you think of 300 euro complete?"

For me it was a gamble price concerned, because I never looked for something like that!

It was a pure case of coming across an odd item and liking it!
Bought it and after that found out how rare it was!

But, that is one of the items that has found a new home already!

• Upvote 2

Hoi Henri,
for starters thank you for sharing these pictures!I'm glad you don't regret selling part of it,for I had a nearly identical collection (all German items,though!) and a few years ago I sold part of it to purchase a "time capsule",near-mint Kettenkrad with its Infanteriekarre and a lot of other items found by a collector/landowner in a farm on one of his properties....the bas turd backed off and decided not to let the Ket go anymore but my items were gone and I couldn't have them back!I sold the bare mannequins and put 30/40 complete uniforms (fortunately I kept them all apart from two or three duplicates and "only" sold caps,AFV/Vehicles parts,equipment and Pioniere and Nachrichten stuff )in storage and take out a piece now and then to discuss it with our friends here!All of those items were "vets" of the Italian and Souther France Fronts and I have regretted selling them ever since!
@HetzersGonnaHetz is right;many,if not ALL the European Continental Countries involved in the War are still a treasure trove for collectors who know where to look at,especially Italy and France.Items are not so easy to come by as they were until the end of the 90s but there are many little treasures waiting!Again,thank you for sharing that and for bringing back great memories when my "mancave" was like that!
Groetjes uit Italie
Manu

• Upvote 2

Well guys,

One of my strong character points is: that when I have made a descision, I don't look back!
What is the use of "what if...???"
I rather think "What is possible.....now....or in the future!"

A lot of people told me that I would regret my descision, but I always told them that I could start again every day.
OK, items would be more expensive, harder to find but still could get a nice collection again.
Different story of course with front items, because these are a one of a kind.

After all, it is all material and that we collect is a luxery problem, like any other hobby.
Now a days I rather spend my money on a nice evening out with my girl, a trip with friends to a good Belgium beer brewer, go skydiving and paragliding in the south of Germany between te mountains.
Things you can't posses, but keep in your memory for life!

I respect all those collectors who still enjoy collecting and I am blessed that I can visit these collections to admire.
But it is more the passion of the person that I like then the items it self.
It are the stories the person tells and the twinkling eyes when he tells: that is what I love!
Passion and history!

What I wrote before: that what I still liked ( rations, tabacco, escape items and some personal gear) is what I kept.
Doesn't take up much space ( in crates) and can always decide later if I want to part with some of it.

Concerning wat @HetzersGonnaHetz mentioned.
Indeed you can find still stuff, but it is getting more difficult every day.
But I don't agree that it is only on continental countries.
Got me some of the best items from some UK and US based people (veterans or family from them).
It is only the sort of items you can find is diiferent.
From the vets you most time can get personal items with a story like brought back knifes, helmets, badges and stuff they used them self.
In the countries they fought you can find the fieldgear, helmets, vehicle parts, ammo and sometimes weapons.
But with these there is most time no story, beside "i picked it up after the war and forgot about it!"

You can find WWII items every were, but have to put some effort in it!
It will not knock on your door by it self!   xD

• Upvote 3

That is very true, you can get almost anything if you are lucky enough to be in the right place, unfortunately I was at the wrong time. About 30yrs ago, I had been to a small militaria shop in Welwyn Garden City, which has now disappeared over the yrs. I was looking for German Helmet pins. I had taken three of mine with me just to compare any that I found. This shop had none, so I was driving back home, and for some reason decided to take the back route through the country lanes. Now I had driven this route for years as a copper, but that was normally chasing someone trying to avoid the main roads after a night of drinking. I was just poodling along, and passed a yard that went back into a courtyard with a sign that said "JUST JUNK", I,d never seen this before,( which does,nt really say much for my observational skills). I turned round a pulled into the yard and sure enough there was a little cottage style shop with gardening equipment outside,a couple of concrete statues, a few old park benches and odds and ends scattered about. I never even thought about the pins ,just wanted to look around out of curiosity, I went inside and it was packed with all sorts of "junk" so I thought maybe I might find something military. After about 30 minutes, I could,nt see nothing that interested me. and I was about to leave, when the old guy behind the counter asked if I was looking for anything particular. I said not really just looking, I thought you might have militaria in here, He shook his head, "No boy, not something I have around here normally but every now and then, something might turn up", I thanked him but we got talking, I told him of my interest and he was pretty chatty. I told him I had been over to WGC but could,nt find these pins, and I showed them to him. "Oh, you mean helmet liner pins," well this sort of floored me, he knew what they were. He then said that he had a box full of them. I was still trying to take it in. I asked him what he meant by box full. He said he had an old wooden ammo box somewhere and it was half full of these pins. My head was about to turn full circle.He told me that he could,nt remember where they came from but he,d had them for a good 30-40yrs. He called his son to go find them. He asked me how many did I want, well I had to say all of them. He asked me how much was I willing to pay, I told him I had £40 on me and that was all. Thats a deal he said provided they are what you,re looking for. 10 minutes later the son came back. He said that the mother was sick of finding bits of old junk lying about the house so she binned them about a month ago. . The old boy told his son ,go tell your mother she,s a stupid cow, weve just lost £40 quid because of her. I was completely gutted, I could hardly speak. I eventually asked him how many do you reckon were in the box. he said about a couple of hundred. I was about to leave, but I think he could see just how disappointed I was, He told me to hang on a minute. He went off and came back with a MK11 British helmet, in pretty good order, and dated 1940. "I forgot I had this, have this on me" Although I was still reeling at what happened I ended up with another MK11 for nothing. So one huge disappointment turned into a reasonable substitute. I went back there during the years until he passed away and the son shut up shop, but I never did get anymore militaria from there. But believe you me that is just about my luck with militaria, right place wrong time, everytime

• Upvote 3

Great story Dave, hopefully I have a few to tell to a teenager in 30 years time. 

Can you make it a bit sooner, I might not be around to listen to it!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Don't say that Dave!!

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz
  • Upvote 1

Dang very nice collection. You guys are so organized compared to me! I have two large bedrooms full of things you can hardly walk in them plus two smaller bedrooms almost full. Wife says once those two little rooms are full I'm done. I e caught her throwing things away that I've hid in otherrooms of the house. Just makes me wonder what she actually got away with throwing out! One day I'll clean it out organize it take photos. ;)

Edited by dagodave
phone autocorect
  • Upvote 1

I 100% agree with @Henri and @Davejb !
When you DELIBERATELY sell something to invest in something else it's a good thing but if you sell something to invest in something else and the owner backs off,well...it sux big time!
>:(
It's absolutely true...you can find quite a lot of items in other Countries as well,especially the USoA,in fact I still own a gorgeous M44 jacket coming from the vet's family Stateside,a couple of helmets and a few caps,coming from American vets and a few more things from Canada.
These items and the ones coming out of the wood are irreplaceable though,no matter what you do!For the rest I 101% agree with @Henri..we can live without them and we can always start collecting again any time!
Along the years I had built  a small net of "treasure hunters" helping me out and calling me everytime they found something intersting,and they were obviously into other collecting fields,like WW1,Neapoleonic Wars,Antiques aso.They asked their friends about items and in 35 years or so I have managed to build up a nice collection,especially of WW2 German footwear,of which at a certain point I owned 300 pairs and counting,now reduced to "only" forty pairs or so...I had rented a small garage only for them!:$
For decades I've attended the many "Bourses aux armes et Militaria" in Central and Southern France,you could read the "calendrier" each month on France's Militaria Magazine and until the very early 2000s they were a feast for the eyes;collectors from the area gathered to sell and swap their items and I just couldn't help going there;Draguignan,Puyloubier,Isle Sur La Sorgue,Aix En Provence and tens of other places full of WW2 French,German and Allied militaria from WW1 and 2,it was worth getting up at 3,4,5 'o clock in the morning to get there asap and get the best pieces,maybe after calling a friend or two the day before and ask them to look for this or that thing!
Being in the right place at the RIGHT moment was crucial!I do have quite a few slings made of heavy webbing to carry the MG ammo boxes and a friend of mine was looking for one years ago,I told him that I couldn't let mine go since they were Tropical,LW,WH,early-War.mid-War,late-War ect (you know how collectors are made!) but that I would have looked for them in France.They're not EXCEEDINGLY rare but they're not that thick on the ground either!Well,a pal and I went to the "Bourse" in Draguignan one morning in February 1999,and while I was talking with a friend who was a dealer there as well I noticed that he had a HUGE lot of anything MG-related;laufschutzbehalters,drums,trommeltragers (drum carriers),leather slings,stocks,bipods,fillintheblanks.I asked him where he had found those things and he told me that he had found them the week before but he wouldn't tell where,of course!I was looking at the K98k slings mixed with the MG 34/42 ones when I noticed this HUGE cardboard box of the kind used to ship clothes.I asked him if he'd brought a fridge along and he replied "Oh,that?Nothing  interesting since nobody seems to care,in fact I was about to put the box back in the van when you came and greet me!".OK,said I,what's in the box then? "Look,it's full of German medic stretchers without the frames and the handles and a few dozens straps!I've given a few to L over there but please don't ask me to open the box because I've just spent a hour wrapping it in tape and blah...blah...blah...".I went to L's table and,you've guessed that,he had a bunch of those nice heavy web straps with double carbine hooks!I went back to my French friend and asked him with my best poker face "How much would you ask for one of them straps?I need one or two,I'd have asked L but the ones you've given to him must be the worst you had because they're dirty and greasy!".He laughed,smiled and said "You're right,the ones I have are clean and I'm asking YOU 200 'Balles' (French Francs,i.e. less than €30/£23 at current rates) for a strap or 150 'Balles' (€23/£18) if you'll buy ten or more!".How many of them have you got? I asked  "Don't know,I think about thirty/forty if we count out the ones I have..." OK, OK...I'LL TAKE THEM ALL...poker face mode OFF:$!They were beautiful,the hooks were clearly WaA'd and their paint was intact,the web straps were ink stamped and there were blue,green,gray,tan (made of tropical thick webbing with fine weave) in near-mint conditions!A few minutes later I bought twenty sets (O.o) of M I N T, U N I T - S T A M P E D  internal suspenders for the M35/41 tunics from another guy and my friend bought an unrestored but 100% complete WH-issue bicycle which had been on hold for a guy who hadn't come...thankfully we went there with my pal's "old" but spacious 1993 G-300 Merc for before noon my friend had bought a fabulous and heavy LW Stromaggregat (field generator) and a mint US Jerrycan for his Willys and I bought several gas masks,two or three pairs of boots and a few stunning wooden ammo crates and a few more bits and bobs!To think that when I was preparing my coffee that morning I didn't want to go because it was frigging cold,it was pouring.it was 4 'o clock and Draguignan was a good 3-1/2 hours away from where I lived,but since I told my friend that I'd have gone I couldn't say "no" at the very last moment!^_^

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 3

Nice story Manu, when is the next big militaria fair on the continent?