The good old .45 acp

Guest Fred Karno's Army

My favourite pistol, LOVE that caliber...:) Shot one quite often when in California...:) 

This is the one I hire for the day at the range..a Kimber, sheer luxury, and only $10 a day....plus rounds......it's alongside  my cousins S&W 357 Magnum...:)

Kimber 45 cal.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

We used to have the Ruger .357 issued to us on the Firearms  team in the police force, but we did get to shoot the 1911 we had in the armoury every now and then, we also had a play with a luger and a P38, but I never got to shoot the MP40 that was confiscated in an arms raid, that was a beauty, all original with waffenampt stamps and three mags with an original sling

• Upvote 3

Hi @Fred Karno's Army,

I love the M1911 Colt 45 semi - auto pistols, but they are not the easiest pistol to strip and put back together again.

D

• Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Had the pleasure of expending several mags from one once and didn't hit the target once lol,so stuck to the old CZ75 I'm afraid,maybe took more than one round but did stop what it was aimed at :D.

• Major General

Used one last year in Vegas...and an MP40, MG34, Browning .30cal., Luger P.08, Stg44, Thompson .45, & AK47.

phenomenal all of them, but the best were the 1911, Tommy and MP40.:double-barrel-shotgun::crazy-shooting:

• Upvote 3

I LOVE shooting 1911s (strictly in 45ACP caliber!)

• Upvote 2

• Major General
On 30 May 2016 at 08:37, DAK D said:

Hi @Bil4338,

You are so lucky to have fired all those great WW2 period firearms!

D

You're right, just a pity I had to pay for the privilege!  But it was worth every penny!:double-barrel-shotgun:

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

You're right, just a pity I had to pay for the privilege!  But it was worth every penny!:double-barrel-shotgun:

@Bil4338, you didnt have a go with this pop gun then?? :) S&W 50 Cal revolver, near put me on my backside the first time I fired it...:)

50 cal.jpg

• Major General

Holy crap! No wonder, .50 cal revolver, now that's a bit of overkill, n'est-ce-pas?:$

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

Just now, Bil4338 said:

Holy crap! No wonder, .50 cal revolver, now that's a bit of overkill, n'est-ce-pas?:$

It was great fun, but what a wallop it gives, big rolling cloud of smoke, and flames out the muzzle break....and the next day, a pretty badly bruised right hand...:0 BUT, well worth it all...:)

And nothing beats having three empties flying overhead at the same time!|

12187841_10206844928354578_5242435306607288551_n.jpg

When we lived in Arizona, I managed a gun store in Scottsdale. All employees were required to carry a handgun, and my weapon of choice was a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 (see pic). It was small and light, but packed a pretty powerful punch. Six rounds of 200-grain hollow points in the magazine (NEVER call it a clip!) and one in the pipe - enough to take care of most situations.

However, my best buy was many years ago. It was a civilian Colt Model 1911, made in 1915, chambered in .455 Webley Auto. It had RAF stamps, which told me it was ex-military. I fired it a few times, using regular .45 ACP ammo, which worked OK, but never found any .455 ammo for it, so I sold it for what I thought was a good price. I now realise that I should have asked a lot more money for it.... 

Picture 300.jpg

• Upvote 2

I had a Mil spec Spring field armory 1911. Loved that pistol! Reloaded my own .45 ammo.  Was dead accurate and fun to shoot. Hope to own one againg by end of next year! Great pistol the 1911, feels good in the hand! :)  Thanks for posting @Fred Karno's Army brought back some nice memories for me!

On 5/28/2016 at 11:39, DAK D said:

Hi @Fred Karno's Army,

I love the M1911 Colt 45 semi - auto pistols, but they are not the easiest pistol to strip and put back together again.

D

It's easy with practice, It did take me some time to get it on spot. After I git use to it, I was in love. Reloading my own ammo was fun too! You know the sad story of where all my pistols and rifles went. :(

14 hours ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

It's easy with practice, It did take me some time to get it on spot. After I git use to it, I was in love. Reloading my own ammo was fun too! You know the sad story of where all my pistols and rifles went. :(

Hi @Afrikakorpsrat64,

I know mate, but the "not being easy to strip" is part of the 1911's character and not any minus mark on my part, it just means I had some fun putting one back together :)

Have you stripped a 1928/A1 Thompson before? The main spring is a pain to get back in the receiver, but when you have the right tool and some practice it's easy. The pivot plate on the Thompson gun is the real bar steward, as you can damage the finish on the gun if your not careful.

D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Afrikakorpsrat64,

I know mate, but the "not being easy to strip" is part of the 1911's character and not any minus mark on my part, it just means I had some fun putting one back together :)

Have you stripped a 1928/A1 Thompson before? The main spring is a pain to get back in the receiver, but when you have the right tool and some practice it's easy. The pivot plate on the Thompson gun is the real bar steward, as you can damage the finish on the gun if your not careful.

D

Hi @DAK D, I meant no disrespect on your ability, sorry it sounded like that. I know you know guns as well as I do. "Easy" wasn't the right word to use, familiar was what I became with the 1911. :) 

Have not tried the Thompson. I'll show you my scars when I do,lol.

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64

1 hour ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Hi @DAK D, I meant no disrespect on your ability, sorry it sounded like that. I know you know guns as well as I do. "Easy" wasn't the right word to use, familiar was what I became with the 1911. :) 

Have not tried the Thompson. I'll show you my scars when I do,lol

Hi @Afrikakorpsrat64,

I never thought that you did in the first place mate, so there's no need for any sorry at all :)

D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

Have not tried the Thompson. I'll show you my scars when I do,lol.

Guys...I strip it down to the last pin in no time and I can put it together blindfolded...closed inside a pitch dark closet....deep in a coal mine...at midnight!
As the old saying goes "Anyone who can change a light bulb can strip down a 1911" !
Ok...I used to shoot an average of 2000 rounds each week when practicing for matches in the good old days -the clip shows yours (pathetically slow!) truly when he had already quitted training altogether from a loooong time:(:$- and strip the gun on a daily basis,more often than not at least a dozen times a day for set-ups etc but with a little practice stripping a 1911 and putting it back together is a no-brainer!
Cheers
Manu

@Manu Della Valle

"Guys...I strip it down to the last pin in no time and I can put it together blindfolded...closed inside a pitch dark closet....deep in a coal mine...at midnight" !

Good for you mate, that will make an interesting video. (Please post it on the MCN)

As the old saying goes "Practice makes perfect" and i didn't just make that up! ;)

D

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DAK D said:

@Manu Della Valle

"Guys...I strip it down to the last pin in no time and I can put it together blindfolded...closed inside a pitch dark closet....deep in a coal mine...at midnight" !

Good for you mate, that will make an interesting video. (Please post it on the MCN)

As the old saying goes "Practice makes perfect" and i didn't just make that up! ;)

D

If I'd make a video it would turn out like the famous scene of "Bananas" in which Woody Allen tries to put together a rifle blindfolded and......well.... go to 1:49 and you've got the figure!LOL
No,really...it's not that difficult Dermot...where's the part that makes you scratch your head?
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1