The good old .45 acp

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Hi @Manu Della Valle,

That's a funny film xD

All the assembly in the rear of the trigger frame was a pain, but only the first time I stripped the gun  :)

D

There's absolutely nothing difficult in field-stripping a 1911 and even disassemblying it to the last pin would  require only a small screwdriver (for the mag release catch) and a small punch!The difficult part (sometimes!) is taking care not to loose spring loaded pats like the slide stop/thumb safety plunger.Putting back the bushing (if your gun has one;some modern 1911 with heavy barrels don't!)  could be a PITA  but I seldom if ever remove or even rotate the custom made and fit bushings to avoid risking to damage the fit between the bushing and the barrel and between the former and the slide.I use full lenght recoil spring guides with a little hole drilled,I push out the spring guide until the hole is clear of the guide "plug",insert a L-shaped tool made out of a paper clip,and take out the spring/rod/plug assembly and wash the barrel and slide with high ptessure brake cleaner after plunging the lot in laquer thinner!
It's really that simple and afyer you've stripped a 1911 two or three times everything will fall together by itself!Of course,a friend of mine who is a good 1911 shooter if all thumbs and quite often drops by at my house asking if I can spare a minute or two! :D

8 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Manu Della Valle,

That's a funny film xD

All the assembly in the rear of the trigger frame was a pain, but only the first time I stripped the gun  :)

D

You mean the disconnector/sear/hammer assy?It's as easy as one-two-three...just install the disconnector,drop the sear in,gently tilt the gun and align the holes with a punch or a lenght of wire,insert the retaining pin and your done!Put back the hammer in its place and you're good to go....just be careful that the sear spring prongs are in the right place,else the hammer won't stay cocked! 

Edited by Manu Della Valle

1 minute ago, Manu Della Valle said:

You mean the disconnector/sear/hammer assy?It's as easy as one-two-three...just install the disconnector,drop the sear in,gently tilt the gun and align the holes with a punch or a lenght of wire,insert the retaining pin and your done!Put back the hammer in its place and you're good to go....just be careful that the sear spring prongs are in the right place,else the hammer won't stay cocked! 

Yes Manu that was the problem I had with the hammer, but after a bit of fathing about I got it xD

D

3 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Yes Manu that was the problem I had with the hammer, but after a bit of fathing about I got it xD

D

Don't use brute force...if things don't fit just take them out again,take a deep breath and start again!

1 minute ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Don't use brute force...if things don't fit just take them out again,take a deep breath and start again!

Cool mate thanks for the videos and information :)

D

All you 1911 Auto fans might be interested in this M1911 knife. I was sent it by the manufacturer when we lived in Arizona as a writers' sample, so I could write a magazine article about it. Only just re-discovered it at the bottom of a drawer the other day, still in the box. I think it's probably illegal for carrying in the UK, as it's a lock knife, but to me, the interesting thing is that the grips are from a 1911 pistol. I can't find a copy of the article I wrote, but when I did it, I had some scrimshaw imitation ivory grips on it.  

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

• Upvote 1

..and here's a picture of my wife's Kimber Pro-Carry .45, together with a couple of pics of her with her Gold Cup, with fancy pewter Colt grips, and shooting her compensated Colt Commander in a match in Arizona.  

Kimber Pro Carry right side.jpg

VW at Stone Lodge.jpg

VW 1991 Desert Classic Guns & Weapons article pic.jpg

• Upvote 1