EU legislation

Libertesoe

Guest Mitchell S
On ‎29‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 00:31, Lenny said:

It's not fakes as such you need to worry about, it's export models or Russian captures. (which I like as you know they've seen action.)

What about bitsas though? :P

• Field Marshall
5 hours ago, Mitchell S said:

What about bitsas though? :P

You canna beat a bit of.... oh right, see what you mean. ;)

My 34 has been deactivated in Enfield many years ago and they've gone a great job:filled the barrel in a clean way,holed the same in a hard to see place,ground off the face of the bolt,welded the recoil booster and that's just about it!

I think most of you are missing the point, this new legislation will have a terrible impact on the monetary value of your de-acts, and the purchase of future weapons, the cost of buying one after 8th April will have to go down, because the features will no longer be available and that has been a main criteria for getting one in the first place, secondly If I,m understanding it correctly, if you want to sell one of yours it has to be brought into line with the new spec, again this will impact on the amount of money you can ask , basically if this continues then no de-acts can be bought from other countries or within the UK without the new spec and the asking prices will not be met, and I believe this is the reason why the EU have done this ,so that collectors will no longer wish to buy a weapon that has had so much done to it, and all that is left is a hunk of metal, you may as well go buy a replica, at least theres moving parts

I sold my Thompson collection a few weeks ago, because of the new draconian EU directive and I sold them at a loss, but how much of a loss would it have been when the EU has it;s way?

I have never been an investment collector and I love military history, so it really hurt to let them go...

D

004.JPG

• Upvote 1

I think that the best bet for the UK would be leaving the friggin' EU!In Bruxelles they're doing more harm than good to Europe!

• Upvote 1

Holy cow, I would be crying in my soup if I had to sell those, what a grand collection that is, Its a disgrace that the EU is causing collectors to lose money, I think that collectors should petition the Government for losses incurred , there must be some legal re course that is available

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

I think that the best bet for the UK would be leaving the friggin' EU!In Bruxelles they're doing more harm than good to Europe!

Yes Manu I agree. as in my honest opinion the EU is killing Europe.

D

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Davejb said:

Holy cow, I would be crying in my soup if I had to sell those, what a grand collection that is, Its a disgrace that the EU is causing collectors to lose money, I think that collectors should petition the Government for losses incurred , there must be some legal re course that is available

I wish I had the money to fight it, but I don't so keeping them was not an option :(

I still have my rifles and I am worried about them too. Having said that only a few of them are worth big money, so I will hold on to them as long as I can.

D

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bill in VA said:

DAK D, tell us about that '21A. Serial number? Close up photos? (Any chance it falls within the "Irish swords'" serial number run?)

Hello Bill,

That one stayed with me and it is one of the East Side 1921A's.

You have eagle eyes :D

I will post some photos, but not here.

D

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Field Marshall

Thing is, you could just have kept them, without doing a thing to them. Of course you'd have to have them welded solid if you ever wanted to sell them though. :(

• Upvote 1

Hi Lenny,

I would prefer not to destroy historical firearms, as each one of those Thompson guns has a story to tell. One of them was one of the earliest  and rarest 1928 Savage Thompson guns in England outside of a museum.

I have actively supported the petition against the draconian EU directive and I am fully aware of category "A" firearms and the possible ramifications of keeping my Thompson collection.  

D

Edited by DAK D

• Field Marshall

I thought you could have kept them @DAK D without any change, only change if re-sold?

Hi Lenny,

Yes that is possible, but Thompson's could be classed as semi auto and full auto weapons and there is a danger with the directive as it stands that these could become category "A" and banned. If that is the case then I could not hand them over to be destroyed.

• Upvote 1

I think it would help if all proof houses objected to this stupid regulation, they must have a very powerful opinion to offer, our Deacts  Regs conform to a high standard, they cannot be used as an active firearm you can do more damage by hitting someone over the head with them. If this country allows itself to be governed by another, is that not a type of force imposed on people, did,nt we go to war over something very similar, we helped to liberate the damn place now they are screwing us over with stupid rules and draconian regulations, we have got to get out of the EU, bloody hell even my Dime bar is now called Daim

• Upvote 2

Its always easier to punish the law abiding then to punish the criminals :(

• Upvote 2

• Field Marshall
20 hours ago, Bill in VA said:

no de-acts can be bought from other countries or within the UK without the new spec

OK, bear with me...I've been following this thread, and a few others elsewhere on the interwebs and as a "dumb Yank" this whole business about DeAcs has me a bit confused. As I understand things in the UK, DeAcs have to meet certain destructive standards. These standards are met at various proof houses where the deactivation and destructive modifications are done, and then the proof house stamps the DeAc and certifies that the gun has been deactivated to government standards. I got that no problem. Likewise, as I understand it, one must be 18 or older to purchase a DeAc.

Other than that, I presume the sales of DeAcs really aren't controlled any more than say...licorice whips and sherberts, right? In other words, there's no licensing required for ownership, no background check on a purchaser, one needn't be licensed to own/buy/sell, no notification to police that a sale has been completed, etc., right? (This where I'm a little fuzzy, and getting fuzzier...) Hypothetically then, on May 1 Lenny, for example, could sell his DeAc rifle to DAK D with little more than an exchange of money for goods: cash and carry if you will, right?

If that's the case, how would anyone other than Lenny and DAK D know that Lenny sold a pre-April 8-spec DeAc at a post-April 8 date?

Have you been reading our emails???? :D But basically you are correct, there is no registration, they don't know who has what, and when they bought what. It'll affect dealers selling, but presumiably mates could meet up and deal between closed doors...

• Upvote 2

On 4/1/2016 at 16:41, Lenny said:

x..

x

Edited by Bill in VA
  • Upvote 2

• Field Marshall

You don't need a licence to sell deacts. You need to be over 18 to buy them, I think???

so its back to basics then ,,,, swords , daggers and spears:PO.o

On 1/4/2016 at 02:32, Bill in VA said:

Other than that, I presume the sales of DeAcs really aren't controlled any more than say...licorice whips and sherberts, right? In other words, there's no licensing required for ownership, no background check on a purchaser, one needn't be licensed to own/buy/sell, no notification to police that a sale has been completed, etc., right? (This where I'm a little fuzzy, and getting fuzzier...) Hypothetically then, on May 1 Lenny, for example, could sell his DeAc rifle to DAK D with little more than an exchange of money for goods: cash and carry if you will, right?

If that's the case, how would anyone other than Lenny and DAK D know that Lenny sold a pre-April 8-spec DeAc at a post-April 8 date?

DARN RIGHT!