Opinions on Denim Reed Green Lufty tunic?

Lenny

• Field Marshall

Hi guys,

Any opinions on this Lufty Denim Reed Green Tunic? Collar is cut away. Trying to work out a value, but hard with removed collar.

12063838_581267698688207_3779775599673020498_n.jpg

10367810_581267728688204_7467082070165324488_n.jpg

12733534_581267688688208_8164373455025008958_n.jpg

12743524_581267715354872_7503045302148906058_n.jpg

12744644_581267645354879_4236161013362169800_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Not a bad looking tunic shame about the collar,  as you say makes valuation a bit tricky.

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Seen that one before but thought the collar had been tucked in.Glad I never went for it now.as for a value it's worth what you and JMc can agree on...

• Upvote 1

I thought this was HBT material , shame about the collar, devalues it quite a bit, unless you can find another and do a nifty bit of sewing, plus is there two pins holding the pocket on?

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
11 hours ago, Davejb said:

I thought this was HBT material , shame about the collar, devalues it quite a bit, unless you can find another and do a nifty bit of sewing, plus is there two pins holding the pocket on?

It is, but German versions are called Denim Reed Green... not sure about pocket, but should be cheap. ;) Any ideas on value though?

I,d say about £80-130 seeing its got the original eagle and has internal markings, but it could be cheaper because of the missing collar, if it had one i,d say £190-230, its pretty salty, but uniforms are not really my bag

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

If it was cheap enough I would personally consider buying a cheap reproduction to butcher the collar,but then you would have to bugger about fading matching etc to get a reasonable match.but it is what it is,and will always have the 'new collar' and it's only worth what somebody wants to pay for it.But in my opinion it's a nice period item,I just wonder why they chopped it. o.O.

• Field Marshall

I'm considering it as I know a guy who could match a repro collar and sew it... Of course would only be for my display and not moving on...

• Upvote 1

Actually they are not too hard to sew on, ideally it should be machine sewn but if your used to sewing it could be done by hand, it just takes time and a lot of patience, I used to sew cap visors back on and still restitch helmet liners, go on pull the plug, a bit of steaming on the coat will sort the creases out, and a bit of steam ironing over a thin cloth towel will produce a very nice result

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
11 hours ago, Davejb said:

Actually they are not too hard to sew on, ideally it should be machine sewn but if your used to sewing it could be done by hand, it just takes time and a lot of patience, I used to sew cap visors back on and still restitch helmet liners, go on pull the plug, a bit of steaming on the coat will sort the creases out, and a bit of steam ironing over a thin cloth towel will produce a very nice result

My friend is pretty good at his stuff. I'm only wanting it for a background display. Not spending big money on things I'm not really collecting to be honest.... Those days are long gone.... ;)

• Upvote 1

Yep, same here, its a younger mans game now, let them root around all the stalls trying to find a good deal, its getting harder with so many fakes around, even decent collectors get scammed on occassions. I nearly had a result and a half a few months ago, there was a local jumble sale at an OAPs residence near me, I just called in on the off chance of seeing something , I did, in fact I nearly had a fit, there was this old timer at a table who I got talking to. He had odd bits and pieces but nothing military related, while talking, the subject came up about my collecting, he said hang on and reached under the table and pulled out a cardboard box, and started to sort through odds and ends, he grabbed something and threw it on the table, I looked and nearly had a heart attack, there in front of me was a dirty looking German side cap, but it was the button on the front that got me, SS and on the left hand side was the SS eagle. I looked inside and it was also marked but very feint, so I could,nt read it, He saw that my jaw had dropped and said "is that any good for you", I nodded, still a bit gobsmacked, He then said "How much do you reckon", I had to be honest with him and gave him a price which I thought it could go for, He said "that was good of you", most would have told me it was,nt worth much, Give me a ton and its yours, I stared at this old boy and asked him if he was sure , he said he was,I told him I would never sell it, which is true. All I had on me was £30 so I gave that to him as deposit while I went down the bank, 20 minutes later I turned up again, he was inside having a cup of tea, there was a woman on his table, He came out looked under the table and said to her" Wheres that old cap that was in the box", She smiled and said "I just sold it, I got £20 for it." Well my legs went weak, and this old boy hit the roof, he called her everything under the sun, She burst into tears, and this old boys face was red as beetroot, He gave me the £30 quid back and said sorry, then shouted at her again and told her how much it was worth, She burst into tears again and ran off, She was one of the nursing staff and did,nt have permission to be on the tables, I reckon someone had seen me with the cap and saw him leave and asked her to have a look under the table, I took my frustration out on my steering Wheel

• Upvote 2

Lenny,

You've got a second model (no pleats on pockets and no French cuffs) Tropical/Warm climate tunic .These tunics usually had an eagle on Reed  green HBT backing!They're scarce,have been extensively used on Southern Fronts and worth much more than what's been said!If you can find a collar I will be glad to send you as many pictures as you may need to restore it! As a side note it should be pointed out the British and Canadians troops made the POW strip the collars from their tunics for some reason,not bothering about the chest insignia that at first was "tolerated" and only after  a certain period asked to be removed or,at least,the swastikas cut away!Many POWs chose to unstitch the swaz and tuck it underneath the eagle!I like what I see,it's a salty tunic which is collectible even in this condition!On the other hand we cannot say who cut off the collar and why!

HTH

Manu 

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
2 hours ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Lenny,

You've got a second model (no pleats on pockets and no French cuffs) Tropical/Warm climate tunic .These tunics usually had an eagle on Reed  green HBT backing!They're scarce,have been extensively used on Southern Fronts and worth much more than what's been said!If you can find a collar I will be glad to send you as many pictures as you may need to restore it! As a side note it should be pointed out the British and Canadians troops made the POW strip the collars from their tunics for some reason,not bothering about the chest insignia that at first was "tolerated" and only after  a certain period asked to be removed or,at least,the swastikas cut away!Many POWs chose to unstitch the swaz and tuck it underneath the eagle!I like what I see,it's a salty tunic which is collectible even in this condition!On the other hand we cannot say who cut off the collar and why!

HTH

Manu 

That's interesting, never knew they took away their collars, why would they do that??? I suppose that would make sense. because why else would someone remove the collar???

I've asked that myself a million times,Lenny,in fact I remember I read the reason but I've forgot it!Probably to tell a POW at first glance from the back!

• Field Marshall
5 hours ago, Manu Della Valle said:

I've asked that myself a million times,Lenny,in fact I remember I read the reason but I've forgot it!Probably to tell a POW at first glance from the back!

I thought they just marked the tunics?

they did Lenny,but they made them cut off the collars as well,in fact one of the things I look for are replaced collars even on seemingly untouched tunics!

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

That probably explains it...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Field Marshall

I finally got this tunic today @Manu Della Valle, better pics later. It came from a house clearance after the death of an old soldier. Also was other bits and pieces with it, including the Brit soldiers medals and paperwork,

The pocket flaps were separate, found tucked in the pockets. Seller had pinned them on for pics.

I'm happy with it, and the price I paid... ;)

I thought I saw pins in those flaps, nice to know I,m not going barmy

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Yeah Dave, it's an interesting one. I really puzzled by it as it's never been in a collection. I'm in two minds whether to sympatheticaly restitch pocket flaps on. The whole tunic has a look of POW...

Yes it does Lenny, personally, if your going to have a collar restitched on you may as well have the flaps done as well, I think redone it will bring the tunic into a pretty good condition, why all this was done I have no idea,  whether it was a individual regulation at certain camps, I dont know. In one sense, to have flaps removed would help when being quickly searched. I can see no other reason for their removal ,especially as the eagle still remains, which is a bit of a giveaway really, One idea struck me, perhaps someone took a decent collar off it to put it on another better looking tunic??

• Field Marshall

I'll restitch the flaps back on. The bottom of the swastika is missing which ties in with removing the pocket flaps possibly...

I'll maybe have a look for a repro collar, but I may just leave it as it is. If it's a POW thing as @Manu Della Valle says, then it should stay the way it is... Whatever, I'm happy with it. It's a nice item for not a lot of money...

There was no precise order as to the eagle being removed from tunics and caps.The "offending symbol" HAD to be removed but many POWs simply unstitched the swastikas and tucked them underneath the eagle.
In this case the insigna seems badly enbroydered but untouched,perhaps it came out like that from the factory but IMO nothing has to fo with the flaps being removed!
There are thousands of pictures showing POWs with collars,insigna,pocket flaps and all tha jazz,I just mentioned something I had read about CERTAIN  Allied units doing that to their POWs,and that was confirmad by other sources!
Lenny's tunic looks like it was a perfectly good one and butchering it to repair another would merge into  the criminally insane!We'll never know about its story but once I owned a pair of Sturmartuillerie trousers without the reinforcing patch on the right "cheek" and a BIG repair on the left knee!The owner was a former gunner on a Stug III and those trousers had been his ONLY pair of trousers for nearly one year after the end of the War...food for thought!
If I were Lenny I'd leave that tunic alone until a better one will surface!
My 0.02 RM!
Manu

• Upvote 1