Opinions on Denim Reed Green Lufty tunic?

Lenny

• Major General
On 5 March 2016 at 13:02, Davejb said:

Yep, same here, its a younger mans game now, let them root around all the stalls trying to find a good deal, its getting harder with so many fakes around, even decent collectors get scammed on occassions. I nearly had a result and a half a few months ago, there was a local jumble sale at an OAPs residence near me, I just called in on the off chance of seeing something , I did, in fact I nearly had a fit, there was this old timer at a table who I got talking to. He had odd bits and pieces but nothing military related, while talking, the subject came up about my collecting, he said hang on and reached under the table and pulled out a cardboard box, and started to sort through odds and ends, he grabbed something and threw it on the table, I looked and nearly had a heart attack, there in front of me was a dirty looking German side cap, but it was the button on the front that got me, SS and on the left hand side was the SS eagle. I looked inside and it was also marked but very feint, so I could,nt read it, He saw that my jaw had dropped and said "is that any good for you", I nodded, still a bit gobsmacked, He then said "How much do you reckon", I had to be honest with him and gave him a price which I thought it could go for, He said "that was good of you", most would have told me it was,nt worth much, Give me a ton and its yours, I stared at this old boy and asked him if he was sure , he said he was,I told him I would never sell it, which is true. All I had on me was £30 so I gave that to him as deposit while I went down the bank, 20 minutes later I turned up again, he was inside having a cup of tea, there was a woman on his table, He came out looked under the table and said to her" Wheres that old cap that was in the box", She smiled and said "I just sold it, I got £20 for it." Well my legs went weak, and this old boy hit the roof, he called her everything under the sun, She burst into tears, and this old boys face was red as beetroot, He gave me the £30 quid back and said sorry, then shouted at her again and told her how much it was worth, She burst into tears again and ran off, She was one of the nursing staff and did,nt have permission to be on the tables, I reckon someone had seen me with the cap and saw him leave and asked her to have a look under the table, I took my frustration out on my steering Wheel

Holy crap, what an idiot.bet you were both right p****d off with her, a great opportunity missed...>:(

I did cry that day............. A lot, but if I told you what happened a few weeks later you,d think I was an ancestor of Jobe, and it was at the same place of all things

• Field Marshall
1 hour ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Why not,Lenny?

Just trying to think what would suit it... ;)

On 31/3/2016 at 01:07, Lenny said:

Just trying to think what would suit it... ;)

@Lenny...I think that about just any rank (try to avoid Feldmarschall or Gauleiter if thay's all possible,tho!) and any branch would do!
Cheers
Manu

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
31 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

@Lenny...I think that about just any rank (try to avoid Feldmarschall or Gauleiter if thay's all possible,tho!) and any branch would do!
Cheers
Manu

I'm sure it was common to also use European standard boards as well as tropical ones @Manu Della Valle? Any pics of your DRG tunics?

@Lenny (gotta love this tagging thing!),I've got several with boards original to them,the tan,tropical one which belonged to a FJ Uffz came with tropical boards,but the green one I've posted a few weeks ago came with a pair of scarce M44 continental boards!Another green and a blue one had been found with standard boards!Anything would do IMO!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
14 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

@Lenny (gotta love this tagging thing!),I've got several with boards original to them,the tan,tropical one which belonged to a FJ Uffz came with tropical boards,but the green one I've posted a few weeks ago came with a pair of scarce M44 continental boards!Another green and a blue one had been found with standard boards!Anything would do IMO!
Cheers
Manu

Cheers @Manu Della Valle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Field Marshall

I've decided to add a repro collar to the tunic. I'll not be selling it and only for display.

The original collar was removed carefully at the seam, surely a POWcamp would just roughly hack it off. I'm wondering if it was liberated from a unit repair depot/tailor?

Anyway, here's the two tunics....

image.jpeg

• Field Marshall

...and with the repro collar tack stitched on. Final stitching and then aging, pressing etc. to be done still.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Are you gonna add top pocket flaps too? Would finish it off nicely and give it that field-repaired look.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for nor sending you the pictures I had promised @Lenny...but I got hold of the tunic only last night!If it's not too late I'll post them straightaway...just say the word...ahem...NOT THAT word!-_- 

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
On 23/04/2016 at 01:01, Bil4338 said:

Are you gonna add top pocket flaps too? Would finish it off nicely and give it that field-repaired look.

The flaps were in the pocket, so yes will be added... :)

8 hours ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Sorry for nor sending you the pictures I had promised @Lenny...but I got hold of the tunic only last night!If it's not too late I'll post them straightaway...just say the word...ahem...NOT THAT word!-_- 

Go for it, post them here, many thanks.. ;)

1 hour ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Lenny,

You did a great job mate, are you going to restore the upper pocket flaps too?

D

yes indeed. :)

I'm not at home at the moment @Lenny..will do that tomorrow morning!

Cheers

Manu

• Upvote 1